Antiracism can be a delicate topic for children and teens. Many gifted authors have taken the lead and produced insightful, useful books for children and young adults. Mahogany Books, one of the largest independent black booksellers in the US, offers a list of bestsellers. Here are the top 10 in each age group listed alphabetically by author.
Bestselling Antiracism Children’s Books
- Britt, P. Why Am I Me? (2017).
- Cooper, F. Max and the Tag-Along Moon (2015)
- Curry, P. and Curry, J. Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment (2019).
- Harrison, V. Dream Big, Little One (Little Leaders) (2018).
- Harrison, V. Little Legends: Exceptional Men in Black History (2019).
- Katz, K. The Colors of Us (2002).
- Keats, E.J. Whistle for Willie Board Book (1998).
- Kendi, I. X. Antiracist Baby (2020).
- Marley, B. and Marley, C. Every Little Thing: Based on the Song ‘three Little Birds’ by Bob Marley (2015).
- Nyong’o, L. Sulwe (2019).
Bestselling Antiracism Young Adult Books
- Adeyemi, T. Children of Blood and Bone (Children of Orisha #1; 2018).
- Adeyemi, T. Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha #2; 2019).
- Acevedo, E. Clap When You Land (2020).
- Drew, K. This Is What I Know about Art (Pocket Change Collective; 2020).
- Reynolds, J. Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel YA Novel; 2017).
- Reynolds, J. and Kendi, I.X. Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You (2020).
- Stevenson, B. Just Mercy (Adapted for Young Adults): A True Story of the Fight for Justice (2019).
- Stone, N. Dear Martin (2018).
- Thomas, A. The Hate U Give (2017).
- Zoboi, I. Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America (2020).